Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy 100th JC!

“Remember, 'No one's more important than people'! In other words, friendship is the most important thing--not career or housework, or one's fatigue--and it needs to be tended and nurtured.” 



 Julia Child, My Life in France



August 15th would have been Julia Child's 100th birthday.

Naturally, my mom and I wanted to celebrate  in true JC fashion. We decided to prepare a total Julia meal, from appetizer to dessert. Because I was working all day, my mom got a serious jump-start on the meal. OK. That's an understatement. In all honesty, the only thing I was able to contribute was the marinating sauce for the chicken. I really wished my sisters were close as this was just the type of celebration they would have loved.

My mom spent the entire day cooking. Julia's meals aren't the easiest--Rachael Ray never would be able to fit one of Julia's dishes into her thirty-minute meals. I was over-the-top impressed with the spread. Though her meals are time-consuming, Julia's methods are practical, and most of her ingredients are of the everyday variety. One thing my mom noticed is how much alcohol she added to the food, whether a liqueur in the dessert or a vino in the main dish.

The meal was outrageously tasty. Taylor, my dad, and I were the only guests at this party. It was so nice to celebrate a simple summer evening like that. We cracked open a nice bottle of wine I snagged while in Hood River with my girlfriends back in July. It was the perfect occasion. Happy Birthday, Julia. Thanks for your continual kitchen wisdom and inspiration.
My mom even decorated like it was a birthday party and gave ME a gift! 
My dad got in on the action (I'm not going to say he had a choice in the matter).



BEST cake ever. 


French risotto and cheesy cauliflower. It's making my mouth water just reminiscing! 

I should also post the recipes...

No comments: