Sunday, March 17, 2013

Showered with love...and food

Whitney, me, and Lisa. I'm as pale as my tights are white.
If you know me, which you must, because you read my little ol' blog, you know how I am kind of the anti-bride-bride. 

Case in point: I really did not want to have a bridal shower. Just those words "bridal shower" made me shutter in fear of embarrassing games and nonstop attention. 

My friends and my sisters of course asked if they could host something for me, but I politely declined. 

But then, my soon-to-be sister-in-law, and mother-in-law, and Nanny-in-law asked if they could host something in Albany, so I could meet the lovely ladies from down South who will be attending our wedding. 

How could I say no? I really want to know all the people who will be at our wedding, and I love spending time with the family-to-be. 

I tried to get the ladies not to call it a shower and to request no gifts, but both of those requests were shot down. 

My mom and I drove down to Albany yesterday, and I was a bit nervous about the day. OK. I was totally nervous. I had two strikes against me with a wardrobe malfunction (my brand new tights ripped all. the. way. down to the toe when I tried to put them on) and a forced ponytail (let me elaborate: because it was raining, I decided I better forgo straight hair for curls, but I failed to remember I was out of all my hair product...oh, what was a girl to do? I had to throw my hair back in the same ponytail style I wear every day). I was supposed to look BRIDAL, people! Not regular. I even ordered a dress in our wedding colors, navy and white, specifically for this day. 

Once we arrived (late, of course--ugggh!), we were met with the most overpowering outpouring of smiles, excitement, and love. Not to mention how T's sister Whitney rushed to greet me with a mimosa (my fav!), just as I got a good look at the tremendous food spread. The ladies planned a brunch (see--they know me, too!), and you could just tell they spent so much time and effort planning this event. From the perfect, very labor-intensive cupcakes (Whitney should seriously consider opening a bakery), to the gorgeous nameplates, centerpieces, and decorations (including, but not limited to, both Taylor's mom and grandma's wedding dresses out on display), every ounce of this day was perfect. 

We did play one game. Oh yeah, did I start sweating when I heard the word game?! But, it was great. Each party guest picked a piece of paper out of bucket, and they had to decide if what was written was a truth or a lie about me. Then, I had to elaborate on each of the questions.

Here's an example:

After college, Kate went on a two-year adventure to New Mexico to be a park ranger. 

Obviously this was false, but family friend Robyn guessed true because she said it sounded like something I would do. Which is very true.

Ladies! It can be done! A fun and Kate-approved shower game.

Then, we opened gifts, and oh boy! I wanted to cry every time I opened a gift. First of all, many of these women were just meeting me for the first time, so for all of them to pick out such thoughtful gifts for me was just overwhelming. I got a few things off my registry (yet another standard wedding procedure I fought!) including a food processor and new coffee pot (if you only knew how badly Taylor and I need a new coffee pot!!!!!) and a few very sentimental gifts like the hand-embroidered his-and-hers pillowcases and tablecloth from Taylor's grandmother, Ebie, and the new bath towels embroidered with our Katelyn and Taylor logo from my mom.

I wish I had taken a photo with Taylor's grandmothers. I am so lucky to have them in my life. It has been such a treat getting to know them as they have taken such an interest in my life, and I appreciate that more than either of them will ever, ever know. 

I could write about this shower for the next hour. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. Thank you to Whitney, Lisa, and Nanny for loving me so much to throw such a thoughtful party. Every time I said thank you, they said, "Thank you for allowing us." I thought that was so funny. Of anybody, I am so happy I allowed Taylor's family to shower me with pre-wedding love.  

Welcome to the shower!
Taylor's mom's wedding gown. (By the time I took this photo, the accompanying wedding album had made its way inside. Shoot!)

Taylor's grandma, Nanny's, wedding gown and photo.
Nanny and Bobby on their wedding day. Could they look any younger?!
This food was outrageously delicious. My mouth is watering just writing about it. The gals made four different quiches (four!), French toast casserole, fat potatoes (a family tradition!), prociutto-wrapped asparagus, and a huge fruit salad. NOT to mention the cupcakes.
OH! THE! CUPCAKES!!! Fudge toffee chocolate yummy-ness (can't remember exactly what was in those things...but it was ohhh man...so so good!) and champagne vanilla? I can't remember the specifics, but I know Whitney spent HOURS on these. And you could tell by how good they tasted!



This is me...getting sweaty and nervous with all eyes on me...pre-package-opening.
My favorite ladies...Whitney, Lisa, and my mom!


Whit wore stripes, too. Love it! 

1 comment:

Kevyn said...

Such a special time! I love this Kate :) Thank you for sharing and I can't wait for your BIG DAY! Love you!!!