Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The year of the wedding: Fort Worth edition

I headed back to my beloved Texas last weekend for the quickest trip ever. There was no way I was going to miss the wedding of Jenny and Mike!

I became friends with the couple back in 2008, so although we haven't had the longest-standing friendship, it's one I know I will treasure for years to come. They are part of a great group of friends from all over the place, connected by the one and only Austin.

I like to think I was adopted by Jenny and our friend Andrea (one of the beautiful bridesmaids) as we all dated guys in the same circle. Although only Jenny and Mike remained an item (queue that Shania Twain song...), the friendships between Jenny, Andrea, and me just seemed to get better with time. Funny. That's just like wine...and isn't it funny how wine and cheese dates proved to be one of our favorite shared pastimes? Some days--well, most days, I wish I could teleport to Austin to join the ladies for happy hour or a Bachelor/Bachelorette viewing party. Our little gaggle of gals also included some other pretty fabulous women, including Fernanda and Emily (remember Emily's gorgeous wedding?), both whom shared in Jenny and Mike's joy at their Fort Worth wedding. We had such a fun time reconnecting, all thanks to the happy couple.

Fernanda and her hubby John picked me up from the Dallas-Fort Worth airport in style as they were waiting at security. Who comes in to the airport these days?!! I felt so special! We went to lunch at the famous (is it famous?) Joe T. Garcia's in Fort Worth and then off to the hotel to get ready for the wedding. See what I mean about a quick trip? We watched as Andrea got ready for her bridesmaid duties (this girl has been in quite a few weddings, I might add), and then we headed off to a chapel on the TCU campus where Jenny and Mike got married.

The ceremony was just gorgeous, and let me ask a question: Who can hold back tears when Cannon in D begins to play? Anyone? As soon as I saw Jenny walking down the aisle, I felt the tears well up. After the vows, a couple scripture passages, and a big ol' smooch, we cheered as Jenny and Mike became Mr. and Mrs. Davidson--officially! Woohoo! The reception was pretty breath-taking, and of course my photos (again) don't express this sentiment well enough. It was very elegant, and I could feel the love, energy, and excitement Jenny put into the details of the celebration.

The morning after the big party, I headed to Austin with Fernanda. We lunched at South Congress Cafe, I got to visit with her baby boys, and we spent my remaining time at Whole Foods...ahhh...all of which gave me a quick Austin fix before jumping on an evening flight back to Portland.

Talk about a whirlwind. It was all worth it. I'm so thankful to have these friends in my life, and I love that no matter how long or short of a time I get to spend in Texas, I always rack up some great memories...and I usually pack on a couple of pounds thanks to the margaritas and migas!

With love to the happy couple!  

And now...without further delay...here are the attempted photos from my "it might be better if I used a disposable" camera.

The first church wedding of all the weddings I've attended this year. Loved that.
The bride was beaming!
Post-unity candle lighting.
Mr. & Mrs. D!
The beautiful 'maids (Andrea is far left).
Aaand I feel like such an ogre in this pic. John tried to put us in height order, but I told him I preferred to line up as though we were a candelabra. L-R: Emily, Fernanda, moi, Sarah (only the second time meeting her--she's just fabulous!), and Kara!
I forgot to mention the menu included a macaroni and cheese bar as well as a s'mores bar! Mmm.
I can't believe Fer had a baby two-and-a-half months ago. She is phenomenal.
Hot couple alert! 
Cheers! I maaay have committed this act one too many times that night.
The ballroom was stunning, and Fer really loved the lights!

The table names were locations Jenny and Mike have visited. They had a "modern Texas" theme and included their love of travel. Cute idea.
Andrea, me, and Fer.
This cake was absolutely amazing, and I couldn't get close enough to get a great picture. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Blurry moment...
I want this band for my next event that requires needing a band. Do you think they'd travel out west?
Brasilian kisses!
Andrea, Lea, and Sarah.
There are more pictures. Why? The Robot? Texas Tech fight song? WHY?!

Loved meeting the bridesmaid on the far left, Kathy. Such a hoot!
Cheers to the bride and groom!
And...I had to throw in a pic documenting the heat wave in Austin. It was 113 degrees last week. I saw some of the terrible fires in-person, and I am thankful my friends are safe. I'm also thankful I no longer work at the news because my friends still at the station have been working around the clock since Sunday. Pray for the people in Central Texas.

Yeah...that says 105 degrees. Yowza!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Loved this post. I have a huge smile on my face! Miss you already friend!
Andrea

Jenny Davidson said...

So I think I just teared up from reading this post. Kate - you are just the best and have such a great talent for documenting your awesomeness. So happy to have you at our wedding,can't wait to see your pretty face again soon.
xoxo, Jenny