I know my siblings would agree--you just can't put into words what an over-the-top amazing mother we've been blessed with. From the second each of us was born, we've been showered with unconditional love.
We've been taught countless lessons, and I continue to learn from her on a daily basis. Let me mention just a few of my mom's words that echo in my head:
- Details and manners matter.
- Treating others as you wish to be treated is more than a mantra.
- If you want to achieve something, you have to put in the time and effort. It's not easy.
- A stiff upper lip and faith in God's plan will get you through the toughest times.
- At the end of the day, all you have is your family.
- I live a charmed life.
With her fight and fearlessness, she conquered cancer and showed all of us if you don't have your health, you really don't have much.
She kicks my toosh at the gym. I'm not exaggerating. She can lift more weight and spin her legs faster than I can. She always says she wishes she was an athlete. Well, I'd say she's worthy of that title.
She walks more than anyone--period. Whether it's to get her day started, to get to work, or to pick up something at the grocery store, she certainly puts in more miles on her shoes than her car. She's even been pulled over by the police for walking (I need to dedicate a post to these two--yes, two--incidents).
Should I even attempt to write about her cooking, baking, and entertaining dominance? It's impossible to explain how crazy this lady is in the kitchen.
Growing up, we knew Tuesday was French toast day and Thursday was pancake day--it was rare eating cold cereal and toast. There was nothing average about our mealtimes. If someone had a sporting event, dinner would be left in the oven for that kid. For us, fast food was sitting at the counter in the kitchen and watching our mom whip up a hearty meal in 15 minutes.
At school, friends would fight over our homemade lunches. We could get big money for those things!
Nowadays, she bakes for the teachers at her school, my dad's coworkers, neighbors, the mailman, UPS guy, and of course the front desk attendant at the gym.
I'm not doing her justice. My mom is unexplainable. She's outrageously humble. She's impossible to thank. She hates receiving gifts because she doesn't like knowing you spent money on her. She's stoic and relentlessly reliable.
I can't forget to mention how she's a mom to more than the four of us. The moment you introduce yourself as a friend of ours, you're just one of the family.
I hope and pray I can be just one ounce of the mother to my children that she's been to my siblings and me. We are the luckiest.
Happy Mother's Day!
(I can't find a better photo right this second...)

1 comment:
Your mom is amazing, I can attest! I love that woman. And she makes things look so simple. THAT is a true athlete...when you accomplish impossible feats and make it look effortless. :)
Post a Comment