Monday, January 21, 2008

Cast of characters

I'm a lucky girl, and I have had the privilege of meeting a wide range of people. Some of my closest friends are from high school and college, and others have been in my life since childhood. I've met some more recently, at chance encounters while shopping or at one of the many random jobs I've had "in transition" from college to the "real world." I’ve noticed it must be hard for my “new” friends to have a clue who I am talking about when I mention my “old” friends because it seems I call everyone my “best” friend. Is this making sense? Here are some of the pals I love to talk about.
Mi familia -- Dad, (me), Stefanie, Mom, Elizabeth and Joe. I'm super close to my family. I talk to my parents almost every night. I'm the baby of the family, and I look up to each of my siblings for different reasons. Someday, I hope we all live near each other.



The gang from Valley Catholic -- from left to right: Seema, Matea, Mariel, Kelley and Katie -- I've known Kell since third grade...Matea is my most free-spirited friend...Seema is a sophisticated young professional in SF....Katie's on her way to interior designer fame...oh and Mariel is an Olympic gold medalist in fencing (no big deal).

Here are some haggard hoopers -- Adriane (my teammate) and Breanne, my Husky friend. Basketball and all that it entails creates a bond like you would not believe. Bre is overseas tearing it up on the hardwood in Finland. We bonded one Pac-10 tourney in the banquet buffet line. We've been friends ever since.

This is my girl Rachel -- we met one summer at school. I am her Confirmation sponsor (go Catholics!). She was my first visitor to Austin. We both picked up and moved to our city destinations of choice. Rach is taking Boston by storm.


The gorgeous Emma, from Sweden -- she was my best friend on the basketball team, and it was a sad day when she graduated two years before me. There are some things only other tall girls understand. Ahhh, I miss her.


Grant and I became friends thanks to the Gray "W" club at Wazzu -- I was the president, and he was in charge of "ideas." GA's from Dallas, and he was my best source of comfort and encouragement as I transitioned to becoming a Texan. I can't thank him enough.
This is Allison -- she's my best friend from high school. She's finishing nursing school in Portland. Not only will she have the cutest scrubs, but her patients will be so lucky to have her taking care of them. I call her whenever I have health-related questions. She's the best. We used to plan our lives around Starbucks breaks...oh wait, I think we still do.

Kelle and Emily -- old friends from the beginning -- I met Em my first day in the dorms and Kel right before my senior year. These girls know me best. A few sentences does not do them justice. Heather, Heather, Heather -- I had the privilege of hosting Heath on her recruiting visit to WSU, and she's been like a little sister to me since. We share many of the same obsessions and have a weird sense of intuition about each other. It's amazing.
Ahhh...the women of the Ivy, my college roommates: Katie, Laurie and Emily -- there are no words for what these ladies mean to me. Living together trumps all other experiences.




Dan, Mindy and Whitney -- my other best friends from my days at Central Catholic. Dan is like a brother...he's that guy who doesn't knock or need me to be home to visit my parents...Min, Whit and I played basketball together, and no matter how long we go without talking, it's always like we picked up right where we left off.


My boys, Jesse and Troy -- they were always there to lift my spirits when I was down or beat me up in pick-up games during my off season to help improve my game. Best best friends. Love them.
This is my "Pullman family" -- I reference them a lot. They call me their oldest kid. I love them.

No comments: