Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Goldie, Gus, Claude and the open road

Welcome to the open road! My companions on my 42+ hour trip from Portland to Austin included the following: my 1997 Chevy Malibu, affectionately named Goldie Hawn; my iPod, Claude; and my on-loan gnome, Gus.

I recommend everyone take a solitary road trip across the country at some point in life. I learned a lot about myself and reality while trekking to Texas. Lessons such as:
- How quickly a savings account is drained.
- AAA is a lifesaver and comes to the rescue in the middle of nowhere when you blow out a tire on I-5.
- I'd rather pay a little more to overnight at an inn or hotel than a drive-up motel (seriously).
- Just when you think you can't drive any further and you begin to think nothing seems familiar, a Starbucks pops up in a random town and makes you feel at home.
- A car phone charger is a smart investment.
- The shuffle function on iPods is programmed to play specific songs that trigger memories at precisely perfect moments.


My friends can attest I'm not the best photo-snapper around, but I did try to take some key shots along the way...here are a few of my favorites...
Dan, Gus and Nick at UO in Eugene...just getting started.
Gus taking a snooze approaching Lake Shasta...
Happiness and sanity after finding this Starbucks in the Middle of Nowhere, California.
First solo night at LaQuinta in Stockton? Or was it Sacramento? I don't remember...



I had to unload my life's possessions and place them into shopping carts in the middle of a grocery store parking lot after my tire blew out on the interstate. Not surprisingly, Gus was still smiling.
We made it to Stef and Jordan's place...proceeded to the fanciest Holiday Inn in Small Town USA, Arizona...bypassed New Mexico...trudged into Texas, only to sleep among an infestation of disgusting bugs (at a motel - I know!)...and then finally saw the sights of Congress Avenue and the Capitol, signaling our arrival to my new home!


No comments: