Thursday, March 6, 2014

First there was fall...

It all seemed to have started about the time Taylor and I took off for the McFarling wedding in Austin.

I had been networking up a storm at work, looking for a role that might better suit me, might use more of my skills, and might call for a bit more collaboration. I found a job posting in October that seemed like the perfect combination of all those things. I met with the hiring manager, and as I left work that day, I knew it was the start of a new chapter of my professional life.

I interviewed the next week, found out I got the job a week later, but I didn't end up starting until after Thanksgiving. You know what's funny about that? I am pretty sure I stopped slinging groceries at TJ's and started my first post-grad school job a few years ago right around Thanksgiving, too.

It's been a wild ride since then, trying to learn the ropes and keep my head above water, all the while trying to manage deadlines and a massive workload. I feel alive, though. I feel like I'm needed, like I have a purpose, and like I'm part of a super energized team.

My last role was not what I hoped it would be. But I'm going to say it. I'm just going to say it. The cliche is just too true. Everything happens for a reason. I learned a lot about business, myself, and other people. That job showed me that God works in mysterious ways. It led me to one of the most amazing friends I couldn't even imagine. It helped me gain my start with a great company, and I'm thrilled I have the opportunity to continue the journey.

No comments: