Saturday, March 15, 2008

Too much good stuff

Wow -- I've been having the time of my life!

I vow to write down this stuff in better detail, and now that things have calmed down around here I think I can hold myself to that. Why have things been so hectic? Well...let me briefly recap the month of February:
* The marathon --
After 18 weeks of training, the date of the marathon finally arrived. I had it pretty much set in my mind that it was going to be a one-and-done situation for me. I had no intentions of running after the race, but it truly is an addicting experience.

Stefanie and I ran side-by-side the entire way. We continued to run in our mom’s honor with t-shirts that said, “My mom, my hero” on the front and “If she can do it, we can do it” on the back. The Lady is celebrating 10 years free from breast cancer this year, and it’s a pretty big feat. For me, there’s no greater inspiration in the world than my mom. Whenever I felt like I was even the slightest bit tired, I thought of my mom and was instantly motivated to continue. People asked us about the shirts along the way too.

It was an amazing race. The weather was gorgeous, and we never stopped running. When we took the final turn into the finish line, we grabbed hands and sprinted. Tears ran down Stef’s cheeks, and I couldn’t stop smiling.

The fact of the matter is, we had put so much time and energy into training that we could have run two marathons that day. I’d like to do another one, but it will have to be someplace like Portland, so my parents can be there – it was weird not having them there to cheer me on as I have been spoiled by their constant athletic support my whole life.

* The move --
Immediately following the race – I’m not joking…we’re talking the same day…I began moving into my new apartment in the Tarrytown neighborhood. A friend of mine helped me move my couch and bed, but I single-handedly moved every other item from the place I had been living in since my arrival in Austin. It took forever. I underestimated the amount of stuff I had because I moved to Texas with only the belongings in my car. I neglected to acknowledge the fact that my mom had sent me several boxes of my belongings from home, and also I have a little problem called impulse buying.




* The great debate --
After a smidge more than a month at my job, my boss asked me if I'd be interested in going to the Democratic debate between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama at the University of Texas. Hmm...let me think about that, boss...a chance to see the possible future U.S. president? Well, I got to go...sneak in and out of the CNN live shots...report and write a story for our Web site. Unfortunately, media was not allowed in the actual debate, but running around the press area was more than enough excitement for me...and I got canoodle with some impressive people.


No comments: